marriage legal details

Hot Pink Flowers
image by Jason Mark Photography
Los Angeles Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk County marriage license and branch office info. You can try the informative recording at 562.462.2189 and push "0" for a Marriage Unit clerk after you're a couple options into the phone tree. Good luck.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services This is the official U.S. government website--beware of imposters who want to charge you for this information! Go here for info on citizenship and naturalization, fees and services, and to download the latest forms for free (downloading old versions of forms from commercial websites could cause your application to be delayed or denied.)
The American Immigration Lawyers Association Immigration fraud abounds, as do faux immigration attorneys and "notarios" who don't really specialize in immigration law and who will happily take your money, mess up your application, and then disappear. You can avoid immigration scammers by hooking up with an AILA attorney. Check out Aila.Org for a referral link for info on certified immigration attorneys in your area.
California State Notary Authentication, Apostille, and Certification Information The California Secretary of State provides authentication of public official signatures on documents to be used outside the United States of America. The country of destination determines whether the authentication is an Apostille or Certification. If you are coming here from another country to be married, check with your local authorities about whether you'll need to obtain an apostille for your marriage license to be accepted and recorded by your government. You can read more about how to obtain an apostille by clicking the link above, or by calling our local L.A. Secretary of State's branch office: 213.897.3062.
LGBTQ Legal and Litigation News We've had marriage equality for a while now, but we've still got a long way to go before LGBT citizens have equal protection under the law. Non-profit Equality Case Files is the go-to place to keep up with the latest findings and fill-ins on current legal action, and you can add them to your Facebook feed here.
Caring Info--National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization Excuse me for bringing up a seemingly grim point about marriage, but it is important to realize that one of the duties of being a loving spouse is understanding and embracing the complexities of end-of-life care for your Beloved. Terry Schiavo and the struggles of LGBT couples separated in a medical crises brought to national attention the importance of written advance directives for health care. Caring Info offers free downloadable California Advance Directive forms in English, Chinese, and Spanish. Don't wait until "death do us part" becomes imminent to discuss your options and wishes with your loved ones! By the way, MarriageToGo clients can receive notarization of their completed Advance Directives at nominal cost as a thank-you for choosing our services ("nominal cost" meaning a few bucks to cover gas or some cookies and tea. Yes, we feel that strongly about it.)
Los Angeles Department of Beaches and Harbors--Permits For Beach Events Each beach in the L.A. area has different permit requirements depending on whether it's overseen by its neighboring city, the State, or L.A. County, but you can get most permits through the County Department of B&H. You should check to see if you need a permit for any beach event if you're planning on having more than 30 guests or if you want to set up chairs, risers, arches, have amplified music, catering, commercial photography, and the like--you know, wedding stuff. You can apply online at the Beaches and Harbors website, or call them for more info at 310.574.6756 or 310.305.9543. Be advised: they almost never pick up the phone so leave a message and a number where they can call you back.

Top of Page

Back To Wedding Planning Links Menu